Sunday, August 19, 2012

Getting Started with Action Research . . . Goal Setting!

When I initially submitted my proposal for the iPad classroom, I felt it was important to set certain goals for our classroom learning.  The transformation of iPads to classroom tools has happened relatively quickly.  The first iPads went on sale a little over 2 years ago - in the Spring of 2010.  Since that time, schools have been quick to jump on the bandwagon, which is really very unusual for the world of education.  Many times implementation of educational decisions and programs take place after research has taken place, and there is data to back the process.  With the iPad initiative, it is quite different!  School Districts are buying them up and putting them in the classrooms without a lot of data to back up the effectiveness of iPads on academic growth.
With this in mind, I approached this endeavor with the purpose of compiling student data based on iPad use.  So here are my goals for my iPad classroom!

  1. Increase student engagement in lessons and content
  2. Increase accuracy in oral reading fluency
  3. Increase reading comprehension
Each of these goals will be monitored in the following ways:
  1. School Administrators will perform "time on task" engagement observations at the beginning and end of each nine week period.
  2. Student reading fluency will be measured in the fall, winter, and spring.
  3. MAP scores in reading comprehension from my students will be compared to a cohort group on paper that mirrors the same ability levels of my students.  MAP scores will be reviewed and compared to the Winter and Spring results.
I am sure you are thinking "How is she going to accomplish these goals by just using iPads?"  Well, keep reading this blog!  I will be sharing my wealth of resources and plans over the upcoming weeks! 
Have a great start to the school year, AND FOLLOW ME ON THIS BLOG!!

Here is a great place to start to find good educational apps for the classroom.




1 comment:

  1. Best wishes for this new endeavor. How exciting!
    When you have time, come and visit me at http://scrappygrams.blogspot.com
    I will visit you again, but I won't comment because I have too hard a time trying to decipher these word verifications. :(

    ReplyDelete